After finding strawberries on sale for $1.44/lb, we decided it was time to try my hand at canning some jam. It turned out beautifully. I did learn a few things along the way, and thought I would pass on some words of wisdom:
When canning jam with 12.5 quarts of strawberries........
- Make sure you have PLENTY of sugar. I started with 5 pounds and told my husband to take the car for the day and therefore ended up riding my bike back to the store to pick up 10 more pounds. Let me tell you, hills are not any easier with an extra 10 pounds on your back.
- Give your self plenty of time and schedule in a nap for the day.
- Everything will be sticky.......even Buzz (my dog) had a pink spot on him earlier. Not sure how yet, he wasn't in the kitchen.
- Make sure you have fresh made bread to "try" it out on.
- Exercise the day before and probably after - you will eat a gazillion slices of bread with this new love of yours. Yes, the bike ride will help:).
It's quite sweet because this homemade jam reminds Brian of his grandma who used to make it and for me, there is nothing better than enjoying summer's freshest in the middle of a blizzard:).
Enjoy what others are up to at Homemaker's Monday.
P.S. I must brag a little, did you see in the first picture the waterbath pot I got for $2 last year at goodwill. Perfect for canning when a pressure cooker isn't needed.